A small group of citizens united this week to form a PAC (political action committee) by the name of “Don’t Mess with Madison” in order to fight major changes being pushed in Madison, Alabama.
A petition has been circling the city in order to initiate a special election for a change in our form of government. Madison Forward is the group in charge of this initiative.
Their goal is to change Madison’s form of government from a strong mayor form to a City Manager form of government.
What would this change mean for Madison City?
- Decreased transparency
- Decreased accountability to voters
- Another layer of UNELECTED bureaucrats
- Fewer districts due to redistricting (fewer representatives)
- City Manager would take over ALL of the administrative duties that the Mayor currently does.
- Mayor would have ONLY CEREMONIAL duties (ribbon-cutting, etc)
- Less hurdles to our government officials CONTINUING to run Madison into debt.